Wednesday, September 5, 2007

R-Idaho

I thought I could avoid talking about the situation with Senator Larry Craig, but it just isn't going to happen. I have to admit that I feel sorry for the man. It must be incredibly difficult to shroud one's feelings so thoroughly that one must resort to clandestine and furtive meetings with men in order to express what should be natural. It must have been painful for him to wrestle with the notion of what to do, when he was arrested. Do I fight this, and let the press have at me? Or do I attempt to sweep this under the rug and pray that no one finds out?

As the momentum of the story grew over the course of last week, I found myself bothered with all of the snickering that was going on. The maturity levels of various pundits were revealed to be as low as anyone could have guessed. It was also incredible to see how unified the GOP was in insisting that Craig resign from his seat. I am confident that no straight GOP pol would have suffered a similar fate (all we have to do is recall the story of Senator Vitter and the DC madam).

I hope that Craig is able to work this out, and I hope that his family will be prepared to handle themselves when he tells his truth.

3 comments:

BiblioDiva said...

I am amazed that Craig thought nobody would find out about this. I am not amazed by how quickly the GOP jettisoned him.

hscfree said...

It was naive, wasn't it?

Wings2002 said...

If Senator Craig did what was mentioned, then my heart goes out to his family, especially the man's wife. I can only imagine how she must have felt about this. If a man is gay, why hide it?