Saturday, August 30, 2008

For Real!?

I will be the first to admit that I was just getting used to BHO's selection of Joe Biden as his running mate. My concern was about the potential claims that BHO really is inexperienced in foreign policy to the point that he had to turn to Washington (not change) for support. But as the Democratic convention moved along, and as situations around the world continued to swirl, I was becoming more comfortable with the pick.

Now here comes John McCain with Sarah Palin. I am still gobsmacked. I found this selection to be nothing more than a blatant attempt to see if the disgruntled HRC supporters, some of whom continue to claim that BHO stole this nomination, would be willing simply to support a woman. As the folks at jackandjillpolitics.com noted, this is an example of the worst kind of affirmative action, though Republicans would never admit it.

McCain met her once. Palin has barely been vetted. She is under investigation in her own state, and her perspectives make my actual conservative friends seem almost liberal (and I mean you two, T.C. and P.C.). And this list from Daily Kos was fascinating.

I am not one to make predictions, and I have no idea if Palin will become one of the fastest learners in the land. However, little surprises me anymore. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if McCain supporters praised Palin for being an outsider (albeit with virtually no experience), while hammering BHO for being under-qualified (an affirmative action POTUS nominee perhaps). I am also sure that some will be quick to note that Palin is running for the #2 spot, as opposed to BHO.

All I know is that when it came to a test of judgment on this rather important decision, BHO was thoughtful, prudent and reasoned in his selection. McCain, however, was rash, imprudent and hurried in his selection. So much for "country first."

No comments: