Wednesday, June 3, 2009

On Cheney: Truth Will Out

So what happens now? There remains a steadfast group of Americans who are convinced that Iraq and Saddam Hussein worked directly with Osama bin Laden in the planning for 9/11. Yet, the one person in the former administration who was "clear" about that connection during his tenure as VPOTUS has stated publicly that there was no connection.

I didn't support our going into Iraq, because I didn't believe the reasons presented by the Bush administration. I'd argued to friends that if the goal really was to get rid of Hussein, then assassinate him and install a more U.S. friendly regime. There was no need to create elaborate, and ultimately false, reasons for going to war with Iraq. I am still mad that we did not finish doing what we were supposed to do in Afghanistan, and I worry if it is now too late to salvage what we were supposed to be building there. And, it still amazes me that the most ardent fans of the last POTUS, as well as those who will invoke 9/11 at the drop of a dime (or the sound of dissent from their position), are not outraged that we did not get the person we fully know orchestrated the attack on the country.

Ultimately,we owe our men and women fighting in Iraq an apology. We sent them into war under false pretenses, in my opinion. It's beginning to look more like torture tactics were used to try to generate "intelligence" solidifying a link between Hussein and bin Laden. We abandoned Afghanistan, and let Pakistan stand idle while their leaders did nothing but cash checks from us. And, as Jon Soltz noted in his post on Huffington Post, some within the administration seemed to play up the religious aspects of the war, as though this were a 21st century crusade.

As much as I like BHO, I hope that I do not lose perspective and forget that he is simply a politician fully capable of making mistakes (how about that economic team) and disappointing his constituents (ask some in the glbt community right now). But, I wonder if any of those die hard supporters of the last administration will ever admit that their guys got it wrong (remember, I am talking about die hards; many of my conservative friends made their disappointments with the previous administration clear).

5 comments:

Margot Lee Shetterly said...

I'm nothing short of gobsmacked at the Cheney admission. Convene the truth commission.

Scott said...

I've been watching the news accounts commemorating the 20th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre. What is remarkable is that all of those commemorations are happening in the West, none in China.

A New York Times reporter in Beijing, quietly asking Chinese college age students their thoughts about the event, found that many of them did not even know what he was asking about.

It is amazing to me that in this age of information it is still possible for a totalitarian regime to control information in such a way. To make truth simply disappear.

You're right Free, the truth about torture will out. Much of that truth has already been outed, despite Mr. Cheney's efforts.

For all our faults, that makes me appreciate being an American.

Anonymous said...

I think there is a big distinction between the fact that Bush "got it wrong" and that "we sent them into war under false pretenses." Was it a mistake or was it a falsehood? I think it was clearly a mistake; you seem to take both positions.

Instead of being angry and frustrated over what Bush did, why not apply your energies to what Obama should do in foreign affairs? Ds said they were really worried about Afghanistan, but now some in the House (Rep. Obey I think) have said that he won't support the troops in Afghanistan beyond a year. I understand that being angry with Bush is more satisfying, but I think the question for Obama is what to do next?

hscfree said...

@Anonymous: What do you think Obama has been doing? He has re-focused attention on Afghanistan, and trying to sort out what to do along that border with Pakistan. With that in my, I am not willing to accept the idea of sweeping under the rug that which got us to this point. And if Obama screws up, my ire will be properly directed.

Ken S. said...

The decision to invade Iraq was not a mistake. The middle east was less favorable to our cause with Sadaam Hussein in power. I do not believe we should remove enemies at every turn, but it is clear that our main concern was the middle east and Hussein was the most viable and prudent target. We did not execute as well as we should have. Hussein was a man that attempted to kill a President of the United States. He meant this country and the world no good. I am happy he is removed and the decision to go in was no mistake, but the execution of the post-war plan and the plan itself was horrible. I am still confused as to who is our President. The media reports more on Bush than on the current President. Apparently his time in office has been less than noteworthy thus far.