Friday, October 16, 2009

Interracial Marriage, a Threat to Children?

I wasn't sure if I should have laughed or cried when I heard about the Louisiana Justice of the Peace (Keith Bardwell) who was so concerned about the well being of the potential children of interracial couples that he refused to marry an actual interracial couple who sought his services.

I also never realized that allowing black folks the opportunity to use one's bathroom was the way to distinguish between a racist and a non-racist. But in Mr. Bardwell's world, all you need is bathroom access.

I suppose he missed that little SCOTUS decision of 1967: Loving v. Virginia. But, it's nice to know that another "family values" supporter is looking out for the children. Which reminds me. I wonder what he thinks of Obama, a promise or a problem with regard to bi-racial children? I wonder.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

All I can say is WOW!!!!

hscfree said...

I know, right!

Anonymous said...

99.99% of all officiates express no problem with interracial marriage. One justice of the peace—not a judge or a minister—has a problem with it and that’s what you and the Huffington Post focus on…

hscfree said...

@Anonymous: Yep. And I would modify your statement: "[random number] of all officiates [publicly, which is important] express no problem with interracial marriage. And that justice of the peace is still acting in the capacity of an official for the state. So, yep, I wrote about it.

Unknown said...

@Anonymous: I read about it from the online Yahoo! News Headlines before finding it here. Upon Google searching the story, all the media, from print to web, from MSNBC to FOX, carried it. So "Welcome to 2009!" and congrats on discovering for yourself what is beyond politically incorrect or unlawful, and instead rather shocking to society. Most of us anyway, your household excluded.

Unknown said...

The galling thing about it is that this "man" has been a justice of the peace for years -- with the same racist views -- and who knows how many people he has influenced.

Damn. Just when you think you've turned a corner!