Saturday, December 19, 2009

Ain't Nothin' But Snow in Washington, and All I Can Think About is "Skating"

Washington has begun is slow descent into shut down mode. I can hear the guys clearing the courtyard of my building, as well as the snow plows doing their thing on my street (which happens to be an "Emergency Snow Route"). It was a little comical seeing folks scramble to get their vehicles out of the path of the lurking tow truck (here is the series of fines you will be expected to pay if your vehicle is towed), like the signs weren't as plain as the snow in the sky.

The Smithsonian museums are closed today and tomorrow, and the above ground Metro stations closed (and the buses stopped running) about an hour ago. I am glad that I got all of my provisions yesterday. So, I think I might put in a movie. "Gosford Park?" "The Motorcycle Diaries?" All of the LOTR movies? I'll sort it out.

And even though I am no fan of snow, I cannot deny its beauty. This Washington weather calls for appropriate music. I think that "Skating" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio (from the "Charlie Brown Christmas" special) is pretty near perfect:

2 comments:

Scott said...

It's pretty beautiful here in S.W. Virginia too. We haven't had a decent snowfall in a few years.

Hey, nice choice of music. Vince Guaraldi is way underrated in the jazz world. That said, if you like Guaraldi's Peanuts stuff, you really gotta check out this...
Wynton Marsalis--Joe Cool's Blues

hscfree said...

I have the cd Scott, and it is great. It was in this liner notes for Joe Cool's Blues that Marsalis reminded the world that Guaraldi brought jazz to children through the Charlie Brown specials.