Tuesday, March 30, 2010

To Sean Penn: Sometimes it Pays to Listen to the Locals

I have to agree with Maria Conchita Alonso on her criticism of Sean Penn's embracing Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez. And while I think that some on the right are just happy to see someone "go after" uber-leftist Penn just because, but I am more interested in seeing Sean Penn take a look at the issues that Alonso has put forth, after all, she was raised there. His embrace of Chavez reminds me of those who embrace Che Guevara without understanding fully what his actions represented. I hope Penn does his homework, and perhaps talks with Alonso about her perspective. It's always important to be open to points of view different from your own, just in case you are wrong. Penn's passion, I think, can sometimes overshadow his reason.

No comments: