Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Interesting Questions on U.S. Immigration, With a Little History Thrown in for Good Measure

I was also going to do a post about the news of the injunction against portions of the Arizona immigration law, but in looking for information, I stopped by Ta-Nehisi Coates' blog over at The Atlantic, and found myself reading a post from guest blogger Sara Mayeux on immigration history, including Ellis Island era immigration (and as is noted in the post, at that time there was an active barring of Chinese immigrants to the U.S.; and check out Angel Island over in the San Francisco area for immigration of many Asian Americans). And I just finished the second installment of that post, looking at how we've come to use the term "illegal alien," and simply "illegal."

Foiled again. I need to step up my game. Enjoy the posts.

No comments: