Monday, August 2, 2010

Adolescent Music Flashback: The Fixx

I still remember the opening chords of The Fixx song "Saved By Zero," which introduced one of the strangest videos I'd seen. But I loved Cy Curnin's voice, and what adolescent isn't looking for some type of salvation. Of course, "One Thing Leads to Another" is one of the songs that is always played when there is a block of '80s songs played on the radio, or videos played on television. I remember one of my aunts declaring that "Secret Separation" was one of the ugliest songs she'd ever heard, and that made me love it even more (and I still like that song).

But I don't think I realized how much I liked The Fixx until about a decade ago. I decided to listen again to the whole of the albums "Reach the Beach" and "Walkabout." I didn't even realize that the songs "Red Skies" and "Stand or Fall" were from their earliest album, "Shuttered Room." And in spite of the popularity of "One Thing Leads to Another," I think that not too many people in the U.S. were won over by The Fixx. I was one of those who was mostly won over.







No comments: