Monday, August 30, 2010

My Thoughts on the "Restoring Honor" Rally

I wasn't really sure what to expect from the event that Glenn Beck orchestrated, but I can say, after watching all of it, I came away feeling as though I'd watched an interesting congregation's revival. God was invoked to an almost absurd level in my mind, but I am sure that many of those gathered found some form of solace in the words of the speakers.

It should surprise no one who knows me that I was not convinced of Beck's sincerity, and bringing out Alveda King of all people was certainly not a way to move me away from my original perspective. As a matter of fact, I found Sarah Palin's comments, though vapid, more sincere than anything King offered. Nor was I surprised to see that the diversity on stage did not match that of the gathered.

Now I would be lying if I said I enjoyed the "Restoring Honor" rally. I never sensed that we lost our honor (though going into Iraq made me wonder greatly). But I would also be lying if I suggested that the event was anything more than it was. Political issues were kept to a minimum, though King couldn't help herself, and Beck went out of his way, as Republicans tend also to do, to make sure that his guests covered the American rainbow (though I am not aware of any openly gay speakers who spoke), which was the right thing to do.

None of this makes Glenn Beck any less vile in my mind. His personal history is toxic, and his attempts at academic history are pure comedy. Beck is nothing more than a modern day Elmer Gantry, and one day the majority of the country will see that.

No comments: