Friday, August 27, 2010

Will the Former NJ Education Commissioner Now be Considered "Lazy" for Seeking Unemployment Benefits

In all honesty, I have no idea why I decided to start reading an article on New Jersey Governor Chris Christie's now former Education Commissioner, but now I am glad that I did. Bret Schundler essentially lost his job over a clerical error from his office that ultimately cost New Jersey $400M in education dollars. I'd heard about that "little"oversight, and assumed that New Jersey would have a new education person soon. I was not, however, prepared to read that Schundler had been asked originally to resign, but asked the following day if he could be fired instead, for the unemployment benefits.

Schundler is perfectly within his rights to seek his unemployment benefits; he paid into that insurance plan, like every other worker in this country. But, in light of this strange growing sense that people who are unemployed are "lazy," I couldn't help but pause when I read Schundler's request. Now I am sure that Schundler will not remain unemployed for long, but what happens if he does? Will he be considered lazy then?

No comments: