Thursday, September 16, 2010

I Sort of Agree With David Frum?

I am not sure what to make of this. Here I found myself reading a blog post by David Frum. I know. What's even more strange is that I found myself agreeing with about 85% of what he said. As anyone who has read my blog knows, I am no conservative. I am, however, interested in interesting ideas, even those I may not agree with. I also think that when folks from varying political philosophies get together to be serious about resolving an issue for the country, and not simply playing games like most of the GOP has been doing since January of '09, then the country as a whole benefits.

The more I see and hear from Frum, the more I believe that he is sincere in his desire to see all of our politicians work toward some solutions that will benefit the country as a whole. I think he is correct in suggesting that the tea party Republicans do not share that perspective. I think that most of that lot believes that there is nothing that Democrats, moderates or liberals can bring to the table that will help the country. Because of that sentiment, and I see each time I listen to them speak or read what they write, I cannot take them seriously. I cannot remember who wrote it, but someone suggested that the tea party Republicans essentially were doing performance art.

With that said, I am not stupid enough to dismiss their ability to win elections; tea party Republicans most definitely are a threat (in a multiplicity of ways). But do I think that they are ready actually to attempt to tackle the deep seated problems of this country in a substantive way? Not at all, especially when you begin your effort with the sense that nothing your opposition has to say is worth hearing.

Besides, I am still trying to understand the line "I want my country back." When did it leave you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://obamaspeeches.com/077-Take-Back-America-Obama-Speech.htm

Take Back America Speech

TOPIC: Our Past, Our Future & Vision for America
June 14, 2006
Remarks of Senator Barack Obama: Take Back America
Complete Text

hscfree said...

Assuming the veracity of the site, and the content of the speech I just read, I might suggest that President Obama re-read his speech, and see if he and candidate Obama remain on the same page.

Greg Johnson said...

You ask, "what does the tea party mean when they say they want their country back, when did it leave?" If you were to interrogate a TP'er and force him to name a date, it would probably be 1964.