Saturday, March 12, 2011

Adolescent Music Flashback: Culture Club

For some unknown reason, I woke up this morning with Culture Club's "I'll Tumble 4 Ya" on my brain.  So of course, I decided to do a blog post on Culture Club.

"Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" was my introduction to the band.  Right from the jump, I loved the song, and I will admit that I was at first confused as to whether Boy George was a man or woman (Grace Jones I got, but not him).  Yes, that is embarrassing to admit.  I got over it, and fell in love with the first known drag queen to enter my life. 

My favorite Culture Club song remains "Time (Clock of the Heart)."  It was one of the best R&B songs I'd heard, and it was from a biracial group out of the UK.  I also loved that it was considered cutting edge to like a band with a known "gay."  I think I considered my closeted self as being progressive, and I did have crush on Jon Moss.

"Church of the Poisoned Mind" was a really fun song for dancing, and who could forget Helen Terry's incredible voice?  "Karma Chameleon" is my least favorite song from the band, and it was no surprise that it was destined to be Culture Club's most popular song in the U.S.  Of course, we would go for the most pedestrian song.  Of course.  Thankfully, the follow up song was the redeeming "Miss Me Blind."  And that was pretty much when my interest in Culture Club started to wane.  Only "The War Song" and "Mistake No. 3" registered with me, and then Boy George's problems just seemed to take over.

Culture Club was my first real introduction to gay culture in pop culture, and what an introduction.

No comments: