Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Adolescent Music Flashback: Robert Palmer

I think it was through MTV, way back at its beginning, that I'd first heard of Robert Palmer, and it was the song "Looking for Clues."  It was his looks and attractively awkward dance movements that caught my attention, but I really liked what I heard in that song.  The next time I noticed Palmer was in his cover of "You Are In My System," an incredible song.  His collaboration with members from Duran Duran and Chic, in the form of Power Station, just blew me away, and that group will get its own blog post in the future.

After all of that goodness, Palmer had nerve enough to push it even further.  I sat in front of my television, with my mouth on the floor, as I watched the video for "Addicted to Love."  The immediate follow-up to that was a cover of Cherrelle's R&B hit "I Didn't Mean to Turn You On," which had the same general video concept as "Addicted to Love," but improved.





Though Palmer had continued success well after these songs left the charts, I am sticking to the aspect of his career that was during my adolescence. Though, I will add that it was a pleasant surprise to Beyonce pay homage to Palmer's video style with portions of her video for the song "Green Light."



It really was a shock to hear about Palmer's sudden death in 2003. He was a great talent indeed.


No comments: