Friday, August 19, 2011

Give the Man a Chance to be Heard

Though I am sure that I will become straight before I vote for anyone currently in the GOP field, I think that GOP hopeful Fred Karger deserves to be treated as the legitimate candidate that he is.  I also think that it is looking clearer that the treatment he has been experiencing is due to Karger being openly gay in a party that has many, many, many closets, but is uncomfortable (and often hostile) with its openly gay members.  With that said, I am glad to see Karger push back on being shunted, and I will be interested in seeing how the FEC handles his complaint against Fox "News" for not allowing his participation in their last presidential debate. (h/t Towleroad)

I should add that there is one area where Karger and I agree:  historic preservation.  I had an opportunity to communicate with him a few years ago during his effort to save the Boom Boom Room, an historic gay night spot, at the old Coast Inn in Laguna Beach, CA.  And though that battle ultimately was lost, I respected the effort that Karger and his allies put into the project.  As I think about it, I believe Karger might be the only person in the hunt for the presidency with a demonstrated preservation background (someone let me know if I am wrong there).

No comments: