Monday, September 19, 2011

Hip Hop Remembrances: Groove Theory

When it comes to music, there are times when you hear the opening beats of a song, and you just know that you will love a song.  That was precisely how I felt in 1995 the first time I heard "Tell Me" by Groove Theory, head bobbing to those Bryce Wilson beats almost instinctively.  And then there is Amel Larrieux's voice; enough said.  I knew that I had to have the CD, and the eponymous titled album continues to be one of my all-time favorites.  Listening to Groove Theory tracks just reminded me of how cool and smooth the group's sound was, and continues to be.

I was sad when I learned that there would only be the one Groove Theory album, but I definitely have enjoyed the solo work of Larrieux over the years.  And I can hope that one day, Wilson and Larrieux might come together on stage again.







No comments: