Tuesday, October 11, 2011

On Elizabeth Warren II

I make no bones about my appreciation for the work and tenacity of Elizabeth Warren.  I was glad to hear that she decided to run for the U.S. Senate against Sen. Scott Brown, and what a stark contrast there is between the two of them.  I think that should she prevail, she will be a great ally for the middle class.  I truly wish her well in her effort to become a Senator.

I decided to write this post, because I just finished reading an excellent article about Warren over at Vanity Fair.  What really struck me about the article was that it provided a rich context as to why Warren is absolutely reviled by many tied to Wall Street, including those in Washington and the Obama administration:  she actually understands what Wall Street has been doing.  Warren can call folks out by citing the very schemes and formulae that Wall Street "wizards" have created to bilk the American middle class, and enrich themselves.  She also has American history on her side when it comes to potential remedies, remedies that helped to create the greatest middle class the world has ever known.

In many ways, I wish that Warren would run for the U.S. Senate as an independent.  I think that her perspective on the American economy, and her forthright defense of the middle class is a great compliment to some of the reasons that have led to the "Occupy Wall Street" movement.  And by running as an independent, I think that she would become one of the few politicians who could really speak for aspects of this burgeoning movement.

No comments: