Monday, November 2, 2009

For Holtz-Eakin: Reality is a Bitch

When I saw this "Washington Post" article on Doug Holtz-Eakin (a former McCain campaign economic advisor), I realized that as much as I wanted to laugh at his situation, I could not do it. Holtz-Eakin's sitch cuts too close to home. I know that pain, and that sense of fear. Yes it does hurt, and yes there is fear there. My mother has said the exact same thing as his does, even as we work our networks to change our circumstances, whether it's getting more clients or a full time gig.

I do hope that this humbles Holtz-Eakin. I know that he has made it clear that he is not in favor of what is happening on the Hill with regard to health insurance reform, yet this is a rare chance for a high and mighty person to see and feel what's it's like for the rest of us. He is getting a healthy dose of that, and perhaps he will be inspired to devise a conservative approach to health insurance reform that is genuinely effective. Only time will tell. I wish him the best in securing some form of affordable health insurance, because I, too, know that reality can be a bitch.

1 comment:

Ufansius said...

While I appreciate your viewpoint, I have to say that I don't quite agree. There's a part of me that desperately wants him to suffer the full gamut of losing his insurance, being unable to secure a private policy and then having complications of his pre-existing condition (or some other serious issue) wipe out his "wealth" and "affluence". I don't wish this out of spite or a desire for revenge, but out of the desire for a real, undeniable, clear and prominent example that the unthinkable can happen to rich right-wingers too. We need nothing on this issue so badly as for someone like Holtz-Eakin to speak out from some rented room and say, "Jesus Christ! Boy, did we ever screw America when we hamstrung healthcare reform!" So don't think me vengeful...I don't want anyone to have to experience that, but if someone must in order to wake up right-wing America Holtz-Eakin seems like a convenient example. Especially since it can't happen to Liz Cheney...