Tuesday, April 29, 2008

To the Left, To the Left...

I just want to thank Barack Obama for doing what he did today. The man offered Rev. Jeremiah Wright a path that could work to the advantage of both. Obama wanted to honor, as best he could, the person who helped him toward embracing the church. Rev. Wright chose the worn path of division, rancor, and sycophancy that so many of his peers have followed. And it doesn't come as a surprise to me; it's completely disappointing. It is as though Rev. Wright is working for the opposition in this race.

This reminds me of the post I wrote concerning Andrew Young's comments about Obama. I will say this again. Thank you Boomers for all that you did to ensure that all of us from the immediate post-boom on could live in a world that seemed so far out of reach when you were born. It is time for you to retire, and let us take over. There are some wounds that will not heal. There are some hurts that cannot be ameliorated. There are pains within the depths of your psyches that we, the younger generations, will never know. Pass the torch, and let us take on the work. Too many of you assume that we aren't capable. Too many of you have refused to serve as mentors to train us up (so we learned on our own, much to your chagrin).

We are better prepared than you know. We have our eyes on the prize, and that prize lies in our future, not our past. I am an historian. I respect the past. I have learned from the past. But I am all about the future. Barack Obama is all about the future, as well. Rev. Wright, and so many of his peers, simply won't allow themselves to see that it is about the future. And because of that, it is time for him, and his cohorts, to step aside.

The train for the future is now boarding. One is more than welcome to remain on the platform; I just won't be there with you.

5 comments:

Margot Lee Shetterly said...

I haven't seen much along this line of thought (though since I live in Mexico, I'm a bit removed) but I think it gets to the core of what's happening here: we are witnessing a significant generational break in the Black community.

Barack Obama wouldn't have this chance without the sacrifices of the Civil Rights generation. However, it's his post-civil rights sensibility and experience that makes him a real contender for the presidency.

I would give anything to be able to sit in my church back home now, and hear what folks are saying. The possibility of having the first Black president (a real one, not the First Fake Black President, ala Bill Clinton) is a complicated matter, and is forcing us to rethink issues of loyalty, identity and power-- in public.

hscfree said...

Precisely! I can imagine that for many, it's like the worst case scenario: "we want a black president, but we didn't expect one like this." The boomer class black "leaders" must know that they have virtually no role to play in an Obama administration. More importantly, their overall role in society would be diminished, like Galadriel in some ways. But, unlike Galadriel, Jackson, Sharpton and their cronies are not about to leave for the undying lands and leave the work of the world to the likes of an Obama. No, they will begin calling the man and his black followers "Toms" and "Toms who don't understand thr troubles we went through." I just need them to step aside and shut up.

BiblioDiva said...

Clearly the post Civil Rights generation wanted to pick the first Black president. Obama didn't kiss the appropriate rings (or more accurately body parts) and ask permission before running for President.

I am sure there are a lot of people that are surprised by this public display of division among African Americans. Liberation theology? What's that? Why aren't Jackson and Sharpton supporting Obama...he's a Black man, too. What's up with that pastor? Why's he so angry at the government and Obama and everybody else?

I won't mind this conversation if it actually helps folks honestly think about loyalty,identity, power, and class.

The Linden Row said...

Galadriel? I love the way (y)our mind(s) works Jeff.

You have to be one of the few people I know who could work a Tolken reference into the Obama/Wright controversy.

hscfree said...

Well thank you Rick. I try to maintain aspects of my nerdy side sometimes.