Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Regarding Our Relationship with Pakistan, a Hitchens Must Read

I have two requests in this post regarding Pakistan, a country of which I know little about historically (hopefully I will be able to see a family friend this summer who is a former Reuters reporter, and who is originally from Pakistan, to answer some of my questions).  First, I highly recommend reading the latest column on our troubled relationship with Pakistan by Christopher Hitchens in the latest Vanity Fair, a column I consider a "must-read" in every issue I receive.  Finally, I would love to read other columns with supporting or differing points of view on Pakistan. 

In light of the latest news of the arrests of Pakistani informants who helped the CIA with intelligence (and many of us are quite glad they did), I think that it's an ideal time for our country to re-examine thoroughly our relationship with Pakistan (and it isn't like some Pakistanis aren't questioning our relationship as well).  Clearly, this has begun to happen in Congress, and I think that Defense Secretary Gates' comments to the Senate today were instructive.  It will be interesting to see how this will play out.

No comments: