Monday, June 27, 2011

Violence is Just Fine, but Sex is Always Bad

I've had a long standing complaint with American culture:  We LOVE violence.  The recent SCOTUS ruling declaring California's attempt to restrict children's access to violent video games unconstitutional is yet one more example of this cultural (in my opinion) problem.

I've said it in this blog before, and I will say it again.  I would rather have to explain something sexual that my nephew has been exposed to, than something violent.  We have solidified this notion that sexuality altogether is something to be kept in the closet for as long as possible.  Yet, when it comes to violence, violent images and the like, we don't even flinch.  There is no wonder that we are among the most violent societies on the planet.  Most of our most popular television programs require crimes to have been committed in order to maintain the plots.  And before cries of hypocrisy come raining down, I am not suggesting banning violent images from children and young people.  That would be silly; I love The Lord of the Rings, the Harry Potter books and Looney Toons too much to suggest that. 

I just find it totally ironic that many of the complaints about some of the most popular violent video games have everything to do with sexual images, and little to do with the fact that other characters explode in pools of blood in order to advance within a game.  I just don't get it.  I suppose I never will.  But I will say that I hope my nephew becomes someone who will be sexually responsible; and I pray that he will never be forced to use the violence depicted in the video games that exist out there, just for kids.

No comments: