Sunday, December 9, 2007

"The Weary Blues"

Though I know Langston Hughes had different issues on his mind when he penned that poem, I cannot help but feel that the phrasing is perfect for what we, as a nation, have experienced under the current administration. Here in DC, there is a sense of "just when you think that they have reached the lowest point...," and then new information comes to the fore about the machinations of the POTUS and his band of merry people.

I am ashamed that our country has a leader who sanctions torture. Sen. John McCain is correct in excorriating the administration for letting torture become a tool in interrogations. Disingenuous Republicans and spineless Democrats (as is now coming to light thanks to the Washington Post) gave the POTUS a pass on this (I know that Rep. Harmon has stated that she sent a confidential letter denouncing the torture tactics to the CIA) back in 2002. In this instance one side wanted to look like it was doing something useful (not), and the other side was worried that they would be called unpatriotic and soft on defense.

I am tired of hearing the POTUS trumpet the line that there hasn't been another attack in the U.S. since September 11, 2001. Anyone who pays a modicum of attention to the loons in al Qaeda could tell you that just becuse nothing has happened between 2001 and today on U.S. soil, it does not mean that something isn't being planned. The first attack on NYC was in 1993. Nine years later, those fools came back. Since we seem to have dropped significantly our efforts to capture bin Laden, I pray that we don't see something horrible in the next administration (regardless of who wins).

I am not going to talk about Iran (which is still dangerous, and I am sure that the outing of Valerie Plame, who was working on the very issues that the U.S. is concerned with, only helped us. Please.).

Those who know me understand that I am very measured and deliberate in my pronouncements and opinions (for the most part), but I have moved into an uncomfortable space when it comes to the POTUS (I can't even come close to discussing my thoughts about Voldemort...I mean the VPOTUS). His departure cannot come soon enough, and I think that for the first time in a long while, that is the sentiment of a majority of the country. I will never understand those folks who are among the 30% who still support the POTUS. I also think that it is true that we would not have reached this point if then POTUS Clinton had done a quarter of what we know POTUS Bush has done. There is no doubt in my mind that we would have removed Clinton from office.

Perhaps when I am old, I will read a new history of this current administration, and many of the details will come to light. Perhaps I will understand a little more clearly then. I know that Bush is banking on being exonerated by history. However, I think he might need to start practicing his own version of "The Weary Blues," just in case.

No comments: