Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Sade Saturday

Even though she hasn't put forth a song since "Mum," to bring awareness to the horrors of Darfur, Helen Folasade Adu (and the band Sade) remains my favorite artist. While scanning through YouTube, I stumbled upon the video for one of my all time favorite Sade songs: "When Am I Going to Make a Living."

I fell in love with both a London Fog coat and the promise of the UK. I convinced my family that I needed a London Fog, needed. I just knew that my adolescent sophistication could be secured only with the addition of that item in my wardrobe. And I just knew that my life would mirror what I saw in that video: urban streets, multi-cultural friends and hot styles. Sigh.

Then there was the UK. During the 80s, the R&B music coming out of the UK was incredible. Groups like Loose Ends, Five Star and Soul II Soul were dominating the U.S. charts, and I was all for it. From the general vibe, to the accents, to the cosmopolitan air of London, I was riveted to these images of black folks from the UK. Yet, I haven't been back since I was a baby.



This video brings back so many vivid memories, so here is to a beautiful Saturday in winter, as well as to a time when the possibilities seemed endless. Thank you Sade.

No comments: