Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I Didn't See Any of This Coming

I am sorry that Obama did not win New Hampshire. And, I wasn't really surprised by the loss. I think that it is good that Obama has not replaced Clinton as the "anointed" candidate; it can make one complacent. Complacency leads to mistakes, silly ones. I want Obama to have as few mistakes as humanly possible in this campaign.

What I didn't see coming was my utter lack of enthusiasm for Clinton. I am absolutely uninterested in her candidacy. The "victory" speech last night was as inspiring as drying paint. I turned off the radio as soon as it was done. I became angry. I was angry, because it felt as though possibility was slipping off its axis.

Though he has been accused of speaking in nothing more than mere platitudes, Obama makes me feel proud to be an American. He can articulate the power that comes from following paths that our fore bearers laid out, paths that led to an expansion of the democratic ideals of this nation to all who were here. Obama makes me feel hopeful for the future, and he helps me to see the possibilities for this nation.

This is the first time that I have been inspired by a candidate (any candidate). I want Obama to win, not simply to block any of these Republicans from getting into the White House, but because I really have come to believe that our nation needs an adult like him in the White House. Now, it would not be a surprise if the rest of the nation was not ready for someone like Obama. Our immediate (and soon to be in one case) past Presidents reflect that lack of readiness.

I know that if Obama won, our image in the world would be revolutionized in so many respects. He is the combination of multi-generational America and the immigrant dream. Obama is both of the nation and of the world. I could go on. The bottom line is that I am convinced, more than ever, that Obama is the right person to lead this nation out of the long cold winter of discontent. Mind you, Obama is no savior, and it is incorrect to try to label him as such. But, Obama is an adult who will handle the affairs of this nation with the patience and the prudence of an adult. It's about time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the aura that emminates from Obama's candidacy. This is the first Presidential Candidate that makes me feel that I want in the Office based on his own views & positions, as opposed to wanting to get in to Office to keep out the other choice. Let's All do whatever we can to make sure Obama goes all the way!