Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Will Being Gay in Uganda Lead to Execution or Imprisonment? II

I am glad that Rachel Maddow is working diligently to keep her viewers informed about the pending Ugandan legislation that would seek the execution of sexually active gays. The information is as helpful as it is shocking. I wonder if people in our government is doing any negotiating with Uganda to derail this potential law.

Here are two segments from Rachel Maddow's show last night (the second clip was just a joy to watch; I was shouting my support for Maddow's questions and statements).


Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy






I also decided to check to see what some of the commentary my be over at the BBC, and I came across this opinion piece by William Crawley. Crawley even includes a link to the proposed legislation (which I hope is not some fake). I also found a debate that was conducted by The Monitor newspaper in Uganda last month regarding the proposed legislation. It really does make for an interesting read, and the sponsor of the legislation, David Bahati, seems like a hot Christianist mess. And this op-ed in The Monitor last Sunday by Amos Kasibante, a chaplain at Leicester University in the UK, was interesting.

I just hope that this whole legislative push will be stopped.

UPDATE: The latest post over at Rod 2.0 is reporting a story from Bloomberg that the legislative discussion on the "Kill the Gays" bill in Uganda can now be called the "Imprison the Gays for Life" bill.

2 comments:

Fiona said...

According to Jeff Sharlet, a writer featured on Fresh Air, prominent members of our government are helping to pass this legislation and are allied with the Ugandan government that wrote it.

The interview was a couple of weeks ago, about a religious/political group called The Family. The link is here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120746516

hscfree said...

I'd heard about that interview. And in the first post on this subject I did, Sharlet was interviewed by Rachel Maddow on the same relationship.

That whole relationship is particularly offensive to me.