Monday, February 1, 2010

Adolescent Music Flashback: Human League

Seeing Phil Oakey made me stop and watch my first Human League video "Don't You Want Me." I saw him before I heard the song. The combination of the two did the trick, coupled with the cool blond (Susan Ann Sulley), the doe-like brunette (Joanne Catherall), and the additional band members (back then). I've learned more about Human League in the last couple of years than I knew during their hey-day. I just remember loving "Love Action (I Believe in Love)," "The Lebanon," "(Keep Feeling) Fascination," and "Mirror Man." When the group whittled down to three members (Oakey, Sulley and Catherall), I was floored by their new soulful sound thanks to the Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis produced "Human," which was a real crossover hit for the band. But I still find myself going back to those earlier Human League songs. And Phil Oakey, though straight (congrats ladies), is still quite the looker.

"Love Action (I Believe in Love)"


"The Lebanon"

1 comment:

Joshua Greenberg said...

I am a huge fan of Being Boiled (Peel Session), their first single. Awesome.