Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Gays Not Protected Under the U.S. Constitution at All According to Virginia AG Cuccinelli

First, I am a proud Virginia Boys State alumnus ('85 at Lynchburg College), so I was beyond angry when I heard that the Virginia AG had the audacity to say to Virginia's most promising high school boys that the GLBT community was outside of the purview of the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. I guess Cuccinelli missed those little SCOTUS cases of Romer v. Evans and Lawrence v. Texas. Bluntly put, those cases have helped to protect people like me from people like Cuccinelli.

Cuccinelli's comments are just another reminder to me that if the religious right had genuine power in this nation, then the GLBT community would likely be persecuted openly, told that it has no rights that should be respected, and would possibly face imprisonment for simply being G, L, B or T. Ultimately, I just hope that these are merely examples of the last gasps of the bigoted as the society changes for the better and drowns them out.

In the mean time, I can only imagine how the gay and bisexual guys in that audience felt upon hearing Cuccinelli's words. I hope that they realize that there is no turning back on the gay rights movement. And maybe, just maybe, Cuccinelli helped to inspire one or even some of those boys to join in the fight for gay rights.

No comments: