Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The John McCain I Never Really Knew (And In Light of the Changes, I Think I am Glad I Didn't)

Many Republicans that I've gotten to know over the years often mentioned Sen. John McCain as an example of a Republican the even I might appreciate.  But my McCain knowledge, prior to the 2008 election, was limited at best.  Of course I knew that he was the son and grandson of Admirals, and that he was a prisoner of war during Vietnam.  I also knew that he was tied to the Keating Five scandal, but I didn't know to what extent or how close that situation came to bringing him down politically.  And I was also aware that the George W. Bush supporters in South Carolina successfully floated the lie that McCain had fathered a "black child."

I did not support John McCain in 2008 (I will never cast a vote for anyone associated with Sarah Palin), but I was fascinated by the number of people who talked about the changes they saw in McCain and in his positions.  However, I just finished reading Todd Purdum's Vanity Fair article on McCain, and I found it truly fascinating.  I recommend folks reading it, particularly those who were fans of the old John McCain.  I would love to hear if Purdum's article hits close to the mark for McCain supporters.

It seems to me that John McCain, because of the strong primary challenge this year, has become something that he apparently was not before, a tea party Republican.  And in tacking way right, McCain seemed to have abandoned past positions, reasonable ones, on DADT and immigration, to the detriment of the nation.  I would love to see what history will say about McCain.  What I am reading right now, is just plain ole interesting.

No comments: