Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Speaking of Voter Suppression (and I am Not Talking About the New Black Panther Party)

I can understand a campaign ad that suggests that votes support one candidate or another for just about any reason; that is the nature of a campaign.  What I cannot understand is putting forth a campaign ad that actually tells a segment of the voting public simply not to vote.  I really am gobsmacked that a conservative group would really target Hispanic voters in Nevada, and ask them not to vote at all.  WTF!!!  Is there something wrong with asking to support the Republican or the tea party Republican candidates?  What about the other state focused races in Nevada?  Again, WTF!!!  I hope that every single Hispanic voter in Nevada, regardless of party or political philosophy is offended, and, in turn, will show up to the polls in numbers unprecedented.





P.S. Why are Representatives Maxine Waters and Charles Rangel, as well as Senator Barbara Boxer, in this ad? Senator Reid and President Obama make much more sense for this Nevada specific market.  And finally, will Fox News cover this actual attempt at voter suppression like they did the strange New Black Panther Party?  I know.  I know.

UPDATE (10.19.10):  I am watching "The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell" right now, and he is interviewing the man behind the ad.  And one of the points that O'Donnell raised was why not lay some blame on Republican officials who blocked immigration reform (which is appropriate).

No comments: