Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Potential Cave on DADT

I think that the Log Cabin Republicans (LCR) did the right thing to bring their lawsuit against the constitutionality of DADT (I also hope that they will see the irony of their efforts when juxtaposed with the cries of "activist judges" dating back to Brown v. Board from their ideological side).  But it is painful to see how the White House, yet again, is preparing to drop the ball on something that should be easy as hell to get through, with the proper effort.

I raise this to say that I am mostly with the LCR on criticizing the White House on DADT.  I say mostly, because I have seen nothing of their efforts (publicly) to try to lobby Senators Collins, Snowe or McCain on allowing the Defense bill to pass with the DADT repeal; they seem only happy to place this squarely in President Obama's lap.  Regardless, Obama is not helping himself here, nor are Senate Democrats.  Personally, I am hoping for a miracle of sorts, but I won't hold my breath.

No comments: