Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Adolescent Music Flashback: Loose Ends

Back in the day, I thought Loose Ends was the end all and be all of R&B bands. The fact that they were from the UK was total icing on the cake. Whenever I hear a Loose Ends song, and I am talking about the period when Jane Eugene and Steve Nichol (I had a crush on him back in the day) were still a part of the band, I felt that I was listening to the essence of what makes R&B cool. "Hangin' on a String" from the album "A Little Spice" was my introduction to the band, and I was a fan within seconds. By the time the songs from the album "Zagora" was making in onto the scene, I was already hungry for more Loose Ends, and they delivered. All I can say is just take a good listen, and I am sure your head will bop to the beats. This is just musical goodness.











Loose Ends was still doing their thing as I crossed out of my adolescence. The 1988 album "The Real Chuckeeboo," was off the chain. "Watching You" and "Mr. Bachelor" were the hits off of that album ("Is It Ever Too Late?" is my favorite song from that album). And I was really surprised when I heard Pete Rock's 2000 song "Take Your Time" and heard Jane Eugene singing (Carl McIntosh was in there too). Naturally, "Take Your Time is my favorite Pete Rock song.

No comments: