Sunday, February 6, 2011

Following Egypt V: Interesting Voices

I think that so many Americans are interested in the events in Egypt because we really don't know what's going on.  We don't have a real sense of the causes of the protests (not from an Egyptian point of view anyway).  And after a decade of stoked fears in almost all things Islamic, most of us are ill equipped to envision what could happen in the aftermath beyond some variation of jihad.  So, I was glad to see three opinion pieces from individuals who have far greater knowledge on this subject than I ever will:  Ayaan Hirsi Ali of the American Enterprise Institute, Kate Seelye of the Middle East Institute, and Roxane Farmanfarmaian of Cambridge University. 

I know that I will be reading other perspectives on where this Egyptian Moment can lead, but so far, I've found those three pieces very contextually informative and quite interesting.  Enjoy.

No comments: