Sunday, July 24, 2011

Now Celebrating the Repeal of DADT

I couldn't quite bring myself to celebrate the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" after the legislation was passed last year.  It was a good step forward, but it wasn't complete.  People were still caught in the cross hairs of that policy.  Only now do I feel really comfortable celebrating the closing of an unfortunate chapter (even though we still have until September 20 before it's wiped from the books) in American history.  The certifications necessary have been signed by the Defense Secretary, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and the President. 

I am particularly happy for my friends (and my cousin) who served our country with pride, in spite of their fears.  And I am truly happy for all of those currently serving in our military who can relax, finally.  I am sure Leonard Matlovich is smiling down on this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a life!

Hopefully the US Postal Service will issue commemerative stamps of gay pioneers, and I hope Leonard Matlovich is featured.

He stood up to the implied belief of heterosexual superiority, and we're all better for it.