Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"How Ya Like Them Apples?"

Matt Damon has been on a bit of a roll of late.  I saw a post on Towleroad regarding his standing up for American teachers (and their ability actually to teach, as opposed to teach for a test).  And, I've just finished reading his commentary (in a Huffington Post article) regarding the debt ceiling madness, and our economic policies.  I fully appreciate, and often agree with, his political positions, and it's just nice to see someone deal effectively with reporters who ask stupid questions. 



While watching this video clip again, I was reminded of how silly I think this notion that "government should be run like a business" is. governments aren't businesses. Though it is true that government should look into methods that improve efficiency and cost effectiveness, I don't recall there being a profit motivator for government (on the whole). Nor is there really an effort to insist on fairness, regulation and justice within businesses. Damon, I think, does a good job of explaining, in that short answer, the heart of that problematic thinking.

No comments: