Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Sad Day In Afghanistan

I think too many people in this country forget that we are in the midst of war, and that we have U.S. service men and women who are in harms way daily.  Sadly, that fact was brought home with the news of the downing of a U.S. helicopter, where 38 people were killed, including 31 Americans.  My thoughts are with their families and friends.

When I read these stories, I cannot help but think of the uncle I never had the chance to meet (he was killed in Vietnam, almost a year to the day before I was born), or my father and his Marine Corps friends, or my other relatives and friends who are (or were) veterans.  I think of my friends currently serving, and I always hope that they remain far from harm's way.

But more than anything, news like today's tragic news reminds me of how much I want our troops home, with their missions behind them, and back with family and friends.

No comments: