Thursday, August 25, 2011

Get Me a Bromide, and Put Some Gin in It

I can't be the only one who reads something and finds that I have an immediate headache.  Right now, I am finding this whole situation with this attempt at a settlement with the banks regarding the claims of widespread mortgage and foreclosure fraud to be headache inducing.  But it is also not surprising to me, because I think that all of this stems from President Obama's selection (and endorsement) of Tim Geithner, Larry Summers and their various cronies to handle Treasury policy.  As a result of those selections, the administration's approach has been full throttle in favor of Wall Street, and an ignoring of the principal needs of Main Street (something that the GOP, regardless of the nominee, would only intensify).

Check out these posts from Glenn Greenwald and Matt Taibbi.  President Obama's handling of the folks on Wall Street has been as disappointing for me as his handling of the folks tied to our torture program (see this latest post from Greenwald about the pending media blitz from former VPOTUS Cheney).  I cannot believe that we are even considering talking about settling with the big banks.  That there hasn't been something akin to the Pecora Commission of the 1930s is a downright shame to me.  The Dodd-Frank law pales in comparison to what was done during the Roosevelt administration, vis-a-vis Wall Street.  Meanwhile people continue to lose their homes (and to my friends on the right, no, they all aren't these undeserving dreamers that fit neatly into a rightist diatribe), and the folks who sold them a bill of goods continue to chill on their ill gotten profits. 

What's even more disappointing is that the general public seems completely uninterested.



No comments: