Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Will Being Gay in Uganda Lead to Execution or Imprisonment? VIII

Right now, I am listening to Jeff Sharlet's interview with Terry Gross of the NPR show "Fresh Air" (here is a related link to the actual interview).

Sharlet was invited to Uganda by David Bahati, the author of the "Kill the Gays" bill in Uganda, and the interview is stunning actually. Bahati seems determined the eradicate gays from Uganda, and by eradicate, I mean execute. I cannot imagine the fear that is running through the gay community in Uganda. I also find it tired that Bahati and his ilk are trying to link Ugandan homosexuality with colonialism or Western culture. A new lie might serve them better.

I would like to think that even the most conservative Christian in this country would not support the systematic and government sanctioned execution of members of the GLBT community (and imprisonment for those who do not turn in GLBT family and/or friends). But there are times when I wonder. Meanwhile, I am going to have to make it a point to get the September '10 issue of Harper's Magazine (I don't know why I don't have a subscription) and check out Sharlet's full article. Here is an excerpt.

No comments: