Friday, August 27, 2010

Hip Hop Remembrances: Slick Rick

What fan of hip hop does not remember his/her reaction to hearing "The Show" for the first time? I was stunned, too through, and totally done. Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick and the Get Fresh Crew gave us nothing but a classic that is just as hot now as it was in 1985. And that was my introduction to Slick Rick.

He sounded like no one I'd ever heard before. I definitely picked up on the British accent, though at the time I thought it was merely an affectation. Little did I know that I was listening to a London born rap artist who would take rap to another level. And when he ventured out on his own, we were given the masterpieces "Children's Story" and "Hey Young World" (songs with actual meaning and messages).

I remember being particularly sad and disappointed when Slick Rick ended up behind bars, and I hope that he used his time to consider the very good and important things he put forth in some of his best songs.

Enjoy!





No comments: