Monday, May 16, 2011

On CNN's Don Lemon and the Phoenix Suns' Rick Welts

I would like to offer my heart felt congratulations to CNN anchor Don Lemon for coming out publicly.  It is always a tricky decision to come out to family and friends (I've been extraordinarily lucky and blessed there), but to do so as a public figure is even more so.  But I would be silly not to add that Don Lemon being a black man, and a national journalist, who is coming out so publicly is huge, and so, so important.  Lemon is following in Johnathan Capehart's (Washington Post) footsteps, though I believe Capehart is a less well known figure. 

I cannot stress the importance of more black folks coming out.  I've found that by being out, honest and forthright, I've earned folks' respect, even those who may disagree with the "lifestyle" (which remains a very stupid term).  It boils down to being honest, and looking your fears in the face.  It's not about the detractors, the haters; it's about being true to yourself.

I would also like to extend congratulations to Rick Welts, President and CEO of the Phoenix Suns, for coming out, as well.  As with the black community, it is extremely important for the sports world in this country to know that gays are there too, whether on the field of play or behind the scenes.

No comments: