Thursday, May 12, 2011

On Torture: I Agree with Most of What McCain Says

I was glad to hear that Sen. John McCain, a survivor of torture, is being forthright about denouncing its practice by the United States.  I was sick of hearing the Orwellian term "enhanced interrogation techniques," when plain English would have sufficed:  torture.  I disagree with McCain on taking potential prosecutions off the table.  I agree with Andrew Sullivan, in that there should be an independent investigation on the interrogation programs and on the Guantanamo Bay detention center.  Once that investigation is concluded, then we should talk about potential prosecutions, and hopefully shut up the crazy commentary coming former Bush administration officials.  McCain is definitely correct in saying that torture threatens the idea of America.

No comments: