Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Autumnal Dreams 2009

Two years ago, I wrote the first "Autumnal Dreams," and I am happy to report that my feelings haven't changed an iota.

I cannot wait to join my family on the annual pilgrimage to the Outer Banks of North Carolina late next month. Out of the twenty years the family has gone down, I've only been with them 5 times. For me, it's a week of reflection, reverence and rejuvenation.

It's difficult to put into words the peace of mind that comes to me as I watch, from our deck, the waves of the Atlantic crash on the shore, or the sun rise. It's also difficult explaining the intoxicating the smell of salt in the air. I love the quiet beauty of the Bodie Island Lighthouse, and the majesty of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. But when I put all of those things together with the chilly late October air, I really am at a loss for words.

I know that the other three seasons have their fans, but my heart will always rest with autumn.

1 comment:

Scott said...

When it comes to the Italian Baroque, I've always been more a Corelli guy than a Vivaldi fan.
But anyway, time with family in a beautiful place is good, and I hope you have a great time.
Scott