Tuesday, April 20, 2010

In Praise of the Music of Guru, May He Rest in Peace

Okay, so I just finished my little tribute to Dr. Dorothy Height, only to see the innovative rap artist Guru passed away. I did not know the he was only a year older than me. Damn.

I will admit that I didn't listen to a whole lot of Gang Starr, even though I knew that I liked Guru's lyrical skills and dead pan vocal delivery. But, it wasn't until he released his solo effort, "Jazzmatazz, Vol. 1," that I really took notice. I love every single track on that album. Guru truly demonstrated how rap and jazz could work in tandem to make beautiful music. Too many folks in this country really slept on that album. Here are some of my favorite cuts.









Thank you Guru for making me a believer that rap and jazz could come together, as well as for producing music that is now a part of the soundtrack of my life. May you rest in peace.

No comments: