Monday, April 5, 2010

Why Even Go There Michael Steele?

People accuse President Obama of using race to get his way. Others have claimed that Obama supporters call racism whenever criticism comes his way. A whole host of things can be said about Obama regarding race. Some are true. Some are totally false. And others are just plain odd. But, I don't recall Obama, when on the ropes, resorting to what Michael Steele said, when asked about the current problems with his leadership in the RNC.

Now, if I am wrong about this, please let me know. But I just don't remember Obama saying something like black pols are held to a different standard, and that is why I am experiencing difficulties with getting health care passed, or difficulty with cap & trade.

What Steele did, was in my mind, classic for what non-black folks suggest most black folks do: when in a corner, regardless of circumstance, go for race. Naturally, the problem with this tactic is that it has been abused often enough that when something genuinely troubling happens that has to do with race, then people are less inclined to believe you.

Let me add as a small aside that I do not believe that the majority of Obama's critics are racist; that is just silly. Nor do I believe that it is racist to challenge him on the merits of the issues. Hell, I do that, and will continue to do so. But, too often, people embrace what I've just said, then ignore my usual follow up: There are people who oppose Obama purely because of race. There is no way around that, just as there is no way around the fact that there are people who support Obama, blindly, purely because of race. Let's just agree to agree on that.

Regarding Steele, any objective observer would acknowledge that he has had difficulty in his position from the beginning (and for those itching to say it, Obama had his problems as well), but instead of owning up to them publicly and moving to correct them, Steele went racial.

It's disappointing, and I am sure that members of the GOP threw their hands up in exasperation. I am sad that Steele has given more ammunition to folks who are already inclined to disbelieve that race can still be a factor in our society, and I think that he has made himself look that much worse.

UPDATE: I think the folks over at Talking Points Memo hit the nail on the head with this editorial. The GOP seems to have hired a tiger that it now has by it's tail. Good luck with letting it go.

No comments: