Tuesday, April 6, 2010

This is What Happens When a Company Does Not Care About Mere Workers

As the truly tragic story in West Virginia continues to unfold (and my prayers go out to the families who lost or are missing loved ones), I am becoming more angry with each report about the cavalier attitude of the Massey company with regard to safety violations, regulations and fines.

Over 3,000 safety violations (since 1995)

Flippant commentary from the Massey CEO regarding worker safety

Though I know that it will not bring back a single loved one, and it will not ameliorate any pain that has been felt, but I hope that each of those families sue the shit out of Massey. Those people were working in a ticking time bomb, and the people who profited from their labor cared enough about their safety to amass over 3,000 safety violations in 15 years. I am a fan of capitalism, but these are moments when I am reminded that the system needs checks, balances and strong enforcements.

No comments: