Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pointless "Skins" Controversy

Let me issue a condescension alert for this post.  Okay, you've been so warned.

I've been laughing my head off the last couple of days over the madness surrounding the MTV series "Skins."  Having seen several episodes of the original British series, I just knew that it would never see the light of day in the U.S.  It was too honest about all of the things that most of us remember about high school, which of course means that the religious folks in this country would go batshit.  And that is exactly what is happening now. 

I will never understand why there is not similar outrage for the notoriously violent images that we are subjected to in this country every minute of the day.  How many murders, rapes, assaults, and/or beatings do we watch on our most popular shows with little or no complaints?  Yet when sex is involved, some Americans find that apoplexy and overwrought commentary are their best friends.

I think that these responses are an indication of just how juvenile our society really is.  Violence is good, and sex is bad.  I am sure this bullshit surrounding "Skins," the U.S. version will come and go, but for every teen who fucks on that cable show, I wonder how many other television characters will be subjected to the most unspeakably violent acts, with nary a peep from the peanut gallery.

No comments: