Saturday, March 12, 2011

Adolescent Music Flashback: Spandau Ballet

If you were an teenager in 1980s, then you knew of the song "True" by Spandau Ballet.  It is one of the signature songs of the decade; it was the slow song that plays when Samantha Baker and Jake Ryan see each other in "Sixteen Candles."

The combination of the band's name, the look of the band members (handsome and suited), and the elegance of their music was an intoxicating draw for me.  I was hooked the first time I saw the video for "True," and it seemed like the songs just got better over time.  I know I was not the only closeted gay boy who swooned (Steve Norman still looks good). 

I was really impressed with the single "Gold."  I can listen to Tony Hadley sing that song repeatedly.  After I'd fallen in love with "Gold," I bought the "True" album; I was not disappointed.  "Communication" remains one of my favorite songs.  The only song on their next song that really caught my attention was "Only When You Leave," another really good song.

As I think back on that time, I realize now that Spandau Ballet, Sade and Loose Ends brought the UK elegance to the music scene that really resonated with me.  Each band was smooth and stylish, and their music washed over me like water.  But Spandau Ballet kicked it off, and did so beautifully.

2 comments:

Rhen said...

"I know I was not the only closeted gay boy who swooned"

No Free, you most definitely weren't. ;)

Love me some Spandau Ballet.

Anonymous said...

THOSE SUITS!!

I'm just sayin'...