Thursday, March 4, 2010

When Politicians Lie, Keep Calling Them Out

I am really tired of people simply saying that "all politicians lie," and just leaving it there. Define the terms. Are people including the changing of one's mind on a political position as a lie? You know the "flip flop" that became a popular phrase against Sen. John Kerry. If that is the case, I don't see that as a lie. Saying that you haven't changed your position after you've done so (check Sen. John McCain on Don't Ask, Don't Tell), in my mind, is a lie.

Regardless of which politician does it, lying should be called out vigorously, and the politician should be shamed publicly for it.

I raise this to say that I am bothered by what I am seeing coming from the GOP over health insurance reform. Last night, for example, Rep. Michele Bachmann said on national television that the U.S. Senate does not operate under the simple majority rules, that 60 votes are always required to pass legislation in the Senate, and that the use of reconciliation is breaking the rules of the Senate.

Bullshit, each and every point.

And then there is this segment from Rachel Maddow last night:

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy




To echo Maddow, it is true: they aren't embarrassed. Call them out anyway. We need to kill the truism that all politicians lie. It simply isn't acceptable, and Americans deserve better from its political leaders, regardless of party. Which reminds me, I wonder how that ethics investigation on Rep. Charlie Rangel is going?

No comments: